Saturday, September 22, 2007

Quick Update





Not too much to update on since the last blog I wrote. School has been going well. It's definitely been picking up speed. We had our first quiz on Thursday, which I think went well. Next week, we have our first oral presentation as well as our first exam. From here on out, there will be a test or quiz every week. I guess that's why they call this program an "Intensive Language Program". But it's fun. I didn't really realize how much I had learned until last night at dinner with my Italian family. When they talk, I understand bits and pieces, but for the most part, don't understand much. Then the mom (Carmen) looked at me and asked "Domani, che cosa fai?" I started to respond in Italian and they were shocked I had understood what they had asked. Usually they'll say something to me in Italian and then the dad (Giacomo) will translate. That totally made my night. Guess I really am learning =) I definitely think living in a homestay has helped my learning. It's hard not to pick up some Italian just by listening to my family talk as well as hearing Italian TV and radio when I'm home. Plus I've learned a lot of practical dad-to-day language I haven't learned in class.

My camera still isn't working, but I uploaded a few pictures from my friend's camera. The top picture shows Michaela and I out one night in Siena. Every Tuesday is "Black Night", which basically means the DJ plays hip-hop. That would never fly in the US considering it would be TOTALLY politically incorrect. But evidentally it's fine here. The middle picture is from one of my training sessions for the EMT program. We were learned all about stretchers, moving patients from all positions, and riding in ambulances. It's not as easy as it looks! And the last picture shows Michaela, Tamera, and I at our welcome dinner provided by the school. It was a blast. All of the teachers were there and we're actually allowed to drink with them. (Another thing that would never fly in the US.) Italians LOVE their wine =)

I was planning on visiting Pisa tomorrow, but I woke up with a nasty sore throat, so we'll see how I feel by tomorrow. Don't want to get sick and miss out on anything here in Italy! Ciao tutti! (Bye everyone!)

3 comments:

Anri said...

wow looks like you have been learning italian quickly! and sorry about the sore throat...seems like everyone has been getting it (including myself)...whether or not youre here! haha anyway looks like youre having fun and continue to do so! miss you lots bestie, xoxo

Unknown said...

Whit! looks like you are having an amazing time - if it's any consolation, even though I've taken Spanish classes before my family speaks to me as if I am a native speaker! So despite previous experience en espanol I am having similar difficulties! Such a contrast between the beautiful countryside of Sienna and the big-city sights of Buenos Aires, if only flights were affordable i'd say we should visit each other! Can you please bring back recipes from your family and we can trade?? We can add to the book your mom made for us, which is one of the few cookbooks I have actually used =) I'm thinking we should make gooeycake for xmas... ANYWAY, lots of love and hope you're having as much fun as it looks like despite quizes and oral exams!

Unknown said...

p.s. Your writing is in English but my page only appears in Spanish so i am very proud i got that comment up there =)