Friday, September 7, 2007

Greetings from Siena!



So I’m finally here! (Well I got here a few days ago, but I’m just now figuring out the internet situation here.) I’m really not sure how I made it, but somehow, after 12 hours of flying, a 5 hour layover in London, 2 taxi rides, a train ride, and a 3 hour bus ride, I’m finally here in my host family’s home in Siena. Once I arrived in Siena, I met with the UC program for a brief orientation, then explored the town a little with my new friends before meeting my Italian family. Their house is about 5 minutes south of the walled city center of Siena. It’s a cute and very tiny 3 bedroom house, but looks more like an apartment. And the family is so sweet! There are three boys, ages 3, 7, and 9: names Federico, Edoardo, and Francesco. The father, Giocomo, is the only family member who speaks any English, but the mother, Carmen, still talks to me in Italian. (I think she thinks I can secretly understand. I’m trying!) The boys share a room and I have my own room, which is about one third the size of my room at home. All the windows and doors remain open during the day, so the house is very light and open, and there are beautiful views from most places in the house. I think I’ll get to like it here. We had orientation yesterday and we had placement tests and an oral test today. Then school starts Monday! Cant believe the summer is over. I hope everyone is doing well at home. I miss everyone already! Ciao!

(P.S. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get them onto these Italian computers!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to reading about your adventure!

Anri said...

Glad to hear you got there safely. Hopefully I'll hear from you soon

Mila Paul said...

Hi Whitney. Glad your having such an amazing time in Italy. Your blog is so interesting, I couldn't pull myself away from the computer to put the kids to bed. Rachel and JD say hi. And we're all looking forward to reading more and seeing you soon.
How's the Gelato?