Saturday, December 1, 2007

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas





This last week was pretty busy. On Wednesday we had a class trip to the Uffizi. We had a tour and packed in a lot of artwork in only 3 hours. I would have liked to have stayed longer, but we only had so much time in Florence. Then on Thursday, I went with my Food & Wine class to a winery in Chianti. I'm not sure if I've mentioned that class, but we started last week as our last culture class. It's harder than I expected. We go way into detail about the chemistry of fermentation and mixing certain wines with certain foods. But I really like it. I never thought I'd actually enjoy drinking wine. We got a tour of the cellar and the vineyards and got to taste 5 different Chianti wines as well as fresh olive oil and Pecorino cheese (sheep's milk cheese, very popular in Tuscany). Friday I had a huge test, which I think went well, and then Friday night I went with some friends to a classical concert. Two pianists performed at the "Teatro dei Rozzi" in Siena, which was gorgeous! The theater itself was beautiful and the concert was amazing. It really made me miss music. And made me miss listening to my mom practice piano at home. (She denies she can play, but I love listening to her.) My two favorite concertos were Bach and Rachmaninov, probably because I'm the most familiar with them. I love how music is so universal. During one of the pieces, they displayed the music on the screen in front of the two pianos, so we could follow. I think it's so cool how everyone can read music, regarless of what language they speak. There's another concert next Friday. I probably shouldn't spend anymore money, but I might just have to go!

Saturday and Sunday I had a mellow weekend in Siena. Saturday I had a girls night out with a few girlfriends and Sunday I met up with my class to work on a final project we have coming up. I also walked around Siena, enjoying all of the Christmas decor. They set up a Christmas festival in one of the piazzas, and have decorated the streets and buildings with lights. It's very tasteful. No blow up Santas or singing reindeer like you'd find at home =)

For some reason, I couldn't upload pictures to my computer, so I can't post my new pictures of Christmas decorations in Siena, but I'll post them as soon as I can. So for now, I just posted a few I just got from Joel from when we were in Rome. The top one is of Joel and me in front of the Trevi Fountain. The middle two are of the beautiful sunset one evening at the Vatican. And the last one is of Joel and me at the Colosseum!

Happy December! Hope all is well at home. See everyone in a few weeks!

No comments: